Soothe and protect your skin with this DIY lanolin healing salve recipe. With its moisture locking abilities your skin will feel healthier than ever!
Lanolin healing salve is a great skin care recipe to keep around the house because of it’s ability to be versatile.
In the winter healing salve is perfect to use on dry and irritated skin from harsh cold temperatures. However, it’s also good for the summer months as well to relieve discomfort from bug bites, rashes and other skin problems.
This recipe can be for yourself or add it in a nice gift basket set for a friend or family member!
This post contains affiliated links which means if you make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure HERE.
DIY Lanolin Healing Salve Video
All About Lanolin
What Is Lanolin?
Lanolin is technically something called an emollient which is just a fancy term for a moisturizer. Many other ointments creams and lotions also fit into this category.
If you have breastfed before then I’m sure you have already heard of Lanolin because it’s most commonly used as nipple cream. This is for a good reason too! Lanolin is very beneficial for treating raw nipples but also other areas of the skin.
Please DO NOT put this DIY Lanolin healing salve on your nipples. Although 100% pure lanolin is recommended for breastfeeding moms this particular recipe is not safe for baby.
Where Does Lanolin Come From?
Lanolin is a natural oily product from sheep used as a conditioner for their wool. Once the sheep is sheered the oil can then be extracted from the wool and used for skin care.
Lanolin Skin Care Benefits
If lanolin is good enough for sheep then it’s good enough for me too right? 😉
For real, lanolin has been used for thousands of years because of its amazing benefits to skin care.
- Because lanolin is so lightweight it covers the skin but doesn’t smother it.
- It’s wonderful at locking and retaining moisture because it can hold up to twice its weight in water.
- Leaves an oily, protective layer on the skin providing soothing relief.
Healing Salve Ingredients
2 TBS 100% Lanolin
2 TBS Beeswax Pellets
1 TBS Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Vitamin E Oil
25 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
20 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
15 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
Aluminum Tins (I used one 4 oz but a couple of 2 oz would work great!)
How To Make Lanolin Healing Salve
First begin by measuring out the lanolin, beeswax, cocoa butter and coconut oil into a glass bowl (I use a glass measuring cup).
Make your own double boiler with a pot of boiling water and place the glass bowl and mixture inside. Watch the video for a visual demonstration!
Melt on medium heat and stir frequently. Once everything is 100% melted then remove from heat. Be careful not to burn yourself on hot steam!
Allow the mixture to cool for a couple of minutes and then you can add the vitamin E and essential oils.
Allow the healing salve to harden up completely and then use as needed. It typically takes a couple of hours.
This recipe’s intended use is for adults only. If you are using this for a child then either leave out the essential oils or dilute much further.
My DIY lanolin healing salve has a pretty strong tea tree scent. If this bothers you then feel free to use less.
Please ALWAYS use a good quality essential oil. Do your own research and use your best judgement. I have used Young Living Essential Oils for the last few years and have seen great results.
I am not a doctor or medical health professional. My posts are not a substitute for professional medical health advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Grab My FREE Essential Oils E-Book!
Print The Recipe
DIY Lanolin Healing Salve
- double boiler
- aluminum tins or mason jar
- measuring spoons
- 2 tbsp 100% pure lanolin
- 2 tbsp beeswax
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cocoa or shea butter
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil
- 25 drops lavender essential oil
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil
- 15 drops frankinsence essential oil
- First begin by measuring out the lanolin, beeswax, cocoa butter and coconut oil into a glass bowl (I use a glass measuring cup).
- Make your own double boiler with a pot of boiling water and place the glass bowl and mixture inside. Watch the video for a visual demonstration!
- Melt on medium heat and stir frequently. Once everything is 100% melted then remove from heat. Be careful not to burn yourself on hot steam!
- Allow the mixture to cool for a couple of minutes and then you can add the vitamin E and essential oils.
- Give everything a good thorough stir and pour into your container of choice. I love using aluminum tins or mason jars.
- Allow the healing salve to harden up completely and then use as needed. It typically takes a couple of hours.